Preparing-to-install times

Questions and comments regarding Soft Organizer
jmjsquared

Preparing-to-install times

Post by jmjsquared »

I LoVe this Product... even though the long, long time before monitored installation begins drives me crazy. :shock: I run Install an Application with Tracing as needed and have waited 5-to-20 minutes for installation just to begin. I don't have an overly complicated setup. Your software is so useful to me because, unlike any other I know of, I can "immediately" see what changes have been made to my system. In fact, recently it helped me remove only Part One of a Two-part installation that I actively monitored with a competitor's app that treated the installation as one piece. Nice. ;) But, why does yours take so very much longer than the other guys?

-- The new uninstall-traces after reboot is great. Perhaps you can give us the option to have it automatically resume after reboot, preferably with a 3-to-5 minutes delay... ?

-- SoftOrganizer always causes my screen to flicker several times when it's doing its work. Is that normal? Often, it throws this error message and has to be forcibly stopped and restarted: Image Do you think it's my system or is this an occurrence to be expected from time-to-time?

-- Exactly what does "Find updates for all applications" do? Does it list all installed software and then systematically poll the publishers' websites for possible updates? If it can't access a particular site, does it stop there or skip to the next site? Does it offer to download and install any updates found?

--- Finally, what has been your feedback on uninstalling something as complicated as a driver that requires a reboot to finish?

Thanks for a great tool.
Chemtable Software
Developers Team

Re: Preparing-to-install times

Post by Chemtable Software »

jmjsquared wrote:I LoVe this Product... even though the long, long time before monitored installation begins drives me crazy. :shock: I run Install an Application with Tracing as needed and have waited 5-to-20 minutes for installation just to begin. I don't have an overly complicated setup. Your software is so useful to me because, unlike any other I know of, I can "immediately" see what changes have been made to my system. In fact, recently it helped me remove only Part One of a Two-part installation that I actively monitored with a competitor's app that treated the installation as one piece. Nice. ;) But, why does yours take so very much longer than the other guys?
This is a good field for the program's improvement in the future versions.
jmjsquared wrote: -- The new uninstall-traces after reboot is great. Perhaps you can give us the option to have it automatically resume after reboot, preferably with a 3-to-5 minutes delay... ?
Technically it is possible to do.
jmjsquared wrote: -- SoftOrganizer always causes my screen to flicker several times when it's doing its work. Is that normal? Often, it throws this error message and has to be forcibly stopped and restarted: Image Do you think it's my system or is this an occurrence to be expected from time-to-time?
This is definitely a system-related problem. I've experienced it a few times (while using the programs different from Soft Organizer).
jmjsquared wrote: -- Exactly what does "Find updates for all applications" do? Does it list all installed software and then systematically poll the publishers' websites for possible updates? If it can't access a particular site, does it stop there or skip to the next site? Does it offer to download and install any updates found?
Soft Organizer verifies the information about the program's latest versions using the own database located on the http://www.softwarerating.info site. For programs which has an update Soft Organizer displays arrow in the list and allow to go to the above site to see the link to the developer's resource (although, this available not for all programs yet).
jmjsquared wrote: --- Finally, what has been your feedback on uninstalling something as complicated as a driver that requires a reboot to finish?

Thanks for a great tool.
Such situation can be handled using the delayed uninstall. Activate it before reboot, it the driver's uninstall program requires that.
jmjsquared

Post by jmjsquared »

Thanks for your detailed reply.

-- Since then, I have observed this: When the anti-malware programs running on my system are disabled, SoftOrganizer does it's job of Preparing to Monitor before installation, and of Analyzing Changes after installation much, MUCH faster: a minute or two as opposed to the +/- 20 minutes observed before. I do not like disabling them while installing software --especially the Firewall, but, it seems obvious, they were impacting SoftOrganizer. Also, I have NOT noticed the flickering screen, freezes or exceptions I mentioned before.

It seems my over-caution was to blame for the symptoms I asked about and not SoftOrganizer. :oops:

FYI - The anti-malware products I use are COMODO Firewall; Kaspersky Anti-virus 13.xxx; MalwareBytes Anti-malwarePro; and Zemana Anti-logger.

-- The delayed uninstall feature works great! Have used it without a problem to uninstall software that added drivers and services.

Thanks & regards.
Chemtable Software
Developers Team

Thank you for the information.

We are aware of this problem and plan to work on the optimization of the Soft Organizer's speed in the future versions.
jmjsquared

Post by jmjsquared »

Thank you.

Oh! A feature request: Please consider allowing us to select "delayed uninstall" BEFORE beginning the uninstall process, with a few minutes delay ( perhaps 5 minutes) after re-boot. This will give the program being uninstalled the time to complete any of its built-in work after a re-boot and then SoftOrganizer can clean up any remains.

Or, please consider making "delayed uninstall" the default.

I had an experience where a program's native uninstaller created a clean-up .exe that WOULD have been called during re-boot, except that the old FullUninstall cleaned up that .exe first. I think my suggestion would avoid that possibility from ever occurring again.
Chemtable Software
Developers Team

We'll consider this. If you remember the name of that program, please share it.