Reg Organizer stuck when making snapshot

Questions and comments regarding Reg Organizer, Registry Life and Autorun Organizer.
Dobrus

Reg Organizer stuck when making snapshot

Post by Dobrus »

Hello, I have a problem with the Reg Organizer application, version 8.91 as well as 9.11 (giveaway versions) crashes when trying to monitor installations and take a registry snapshot. On a fresh system everything was fine, but after installing several applications the program hangs at the snapshot creation screen. I have no idea which applications could be causing this problem - the changelog for version 9.0 includes a fix for "Applications tool: Reg Organizer could hang when pressing the Uninstall Application button or selecting the Install with tracing command.", however version 9.11 also has this problem for me. I searched for some log file to know at what point in taking a snapshot the program has the problem, but I did not find that file. Some log file is created in the temp directory, but it is empty. Thank you in advance for suggestions as to what could be causing this problem, or how I can track down the application causing the problem. Also tried in Windows safe mode but it is still the same.

I am using Windows 10 22H2 in the latest version.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Chemtable Software
Developers Team

Re: Reg Organizer stuck when making snapshot

Post by Chemtable Software »

Hello,

There may be several reasons for this problem. First of all, please try to check your disk for errors as shown in the attached screenshot.
If this does not help, try uninstalling and reinstalling Reg Organizer.
If the problem persists, please let me know.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Dobrus

Post by Dobrus »

I tried reinstalling the program many times, first I used version 8.91, then I installed 9.11 and the problem also occurs, as I mentioned. I thought it was some problem with my system so I even formatted the disk and reinstalled the system, installed drivers and some basic programs and for a while the program worked until it stopped again, but I have no idea why. There are no errors on the disk. I also performed DISM and sfc /scannow and the problem still exists. Surprisingly, the problem also occurs in Windows safe mode so running applications or services do not interfere. Could the problem be caused by some registry entry? I have practically the same applications installed on my other computer (not counting drivers and manufacturer software) and monitoring the installation in Reg Organizer goes on without a problem.

Regards.
Chemtable Software
Developers Team

Hi,

Try running the application from the archive below. This is a special application to test the change tracing feature separately from the main application. It creates a log. Run the EXE file from the archive below, and when the progress bar at the bottom reaches the end, send the file 'RegistryTracing.log' from your Desktop (attach here or email to support@chemtable.com):

https://files.chemtable.com/special/Reg ... ngDemo.zip

If all goes well, click the 'Finish' button, it should show the system changes that have been traced during the time that this test application has been running.
Dobrus

Post by Dobrus »

Hello again, I did as you said and this demo program finished after ~15 minutes with error:
OnFirstSnapshotComplete: 0
Break!
I have uploaded the generated log in the attachment.
Chemtable Software
Developers Team

Hi,

The log you send will be analysed and I'll get back to you with more information.
Chemtable Software
Developers Team

Hi,

We've extended the log, please reproduce the problem again with the version below and send us the RegistryTracing.log from your desktop:

https://files.chemtable.com/special/Reg ... gDemo1.zip

The timeout in this version has been extended from 15 to 30 minutes. This timeout seems absurd for a working version, but still wait until the error message appears, no matter how long it takes (it can take up to 30 minutes). This will help us to investigate the problem.

Another idea is to find a third party program that causes this error in our code. So we would be grateful if you could send us the list of installed applications. To save one to a file using Reg Organizer, do as shown on the screenshot:
2023-08-09_16-55-42.png
All information can be sent here or by email to support@chemtable.com
Dobrus

Post by Dobrus »

Hi, the log files with registry snapshot and installed apps are included in the attachment. Thank you for your reply and best regards.
Chemtable Software
Developers Team

Hi,

We have extended the log, please run the version below and send the RegistryTracing.log file from Desktop (the second one RegistryTracingDemo.log is not necessary):

https://files.chemtable.com/special/Reg ... gDemo2.zip

Regarding the list of applications you sent. There are some suspicions about the Riot Vanguard application. It is likely that it uses the driver that could theoretically affect the problem we are talking about. If there is a way to temporarily disable this application (or its driver), we recommend that you do so while running the above demo application and see if the problem disappears.
Dobrus

Post by Dobrus »

Hello, I did the tests normally and using Windows safe mode (both ended with the same error). The results are attached.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1kJyUAW ... sp=sharing

Cannot upload to forum because file size is too large.

Regards.